Prepare the Workflow
- Create a custom owner property called "Old HubSpot Owner" or "Modified HubSpot Owner", or something else that seems good to you, to store the name of the "old" owner whose account is being transferred.
- Create a notification email that goes out to both old and new owners. (If you want to avoid creating the email, you can also choose other workflow actionslike create a task and/or send an SMS.)
Build the Workflow
Now that you’re all prepared, let’s build the workflow! We’re including written instructions here, but you can also view the video below for a walkthrough.
- Set the enrollment trigger to contact property > HubSpot Owner “is known”.
- Add an if/then branch with the condition that “Old HubSpot Owner” or “Modified HubSpot Owner” is "unknown". This is just to make sure that we’re getting ready to notify the right people.
- If “Yes” (if the Modified/Old HubSpot Owner is indeed known), then we’ll want to send an email notifying them. Select the “send internal email” action and pick the internal email you created. (For those who chose to use tasks instead of emails, substitute the create task step here). If you’re confused, just watch the video below. In either case, this email can be sent to both owners and managers, depending on your preference.
- If “No” (as in, this is the first time this record is being assigned), then you’ll want to simply copy the name of the current HubSpot Owner into the "Modified HubSpot Owner" or "Old HubSpot Owner property.
If your organization has account managers, consultants, customer success representatives, or other owners apart from sales, this approach could be used to make ownership transitions easier for them to manage.
There you are! The workflow is ready to go.